Sunday, May 8, 2011

Heidelberg Catechism: The Second Part--Of God the Father

This particular group is low on prose and high on referenced passages.  The catechism basically is letting the Bible say all we need about God the Father, and there is a lot of it.  As usual, the references are grouped together for easy clicking, even if the citations are far longer than prior sections.
Of God The Father
9. Lord's Day
Question 26. What do you believe when you say, "I believe in God the Father, Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth"?
Answer: That the eternal Father of our Lord Jesus Christ (who of nothing made heaven and earth, with all that is in them; (Genesis 1, 2; Exodus 20:11, Job 33:4; Job 38, 39; Psalms.33:6; Acts 2:24, 14:15; Isaiah 45:7) who likewise upholds and governs the same by his eternal counsel and providence) (Matthew 10:29, Hebrews 1:3, Psalms 104:27-30, 115:3; Matthew 10:29, Ephesians 1:11) is for the sake of Christ his Son, my God and my Father; (John 1:12, Romans 8:15, Galatians 4:5-7, Ephesians 1:5) on whom I rely so entirely, that I have no doubt, but he will provide me with all things necessary for soul and body (Psalms 55:23, Matthew 6:25-26, Luke 12:22) and further, that he will make whatever evils he sends upon me, in this valley of tears turn out to my advantage; (Romans 8:28) for he is able to do it, being Almighty God, (Romans 10:12, Luke 12:22, Romans 8:23, Isaiah 46:4, Romans 10:12) and willing, being a faithful Father. (Matthew 6:25-34, 7:9-11)
Isaiah 45:7 is quite interesting and worth a discussion.  The ESV records this verse as I form light and create darkness, I make well-being and create calamity, I am the Lord, who does all these things.  Interestingly enough, the Heidelberg references this translation of that passage:  I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.  When I discuss Hell this week, I’ll be sure to include this passage, as it is one of those that just sticks in the craw. 

Also, if there are duplications of passages, particularly at each end of a section of citations, this was by design in the catechism.  I did not add these of my own accord.
10. Lord's Day
Question 27. What do you mean by the providence of God?
Answer: The almighty and everywhere present power of God; (Acts 17:25-28, Jeremiah 23:23-24, Isaiah 29:15-16, Ezekiel 8:12) whereby, as it were by his hand, he upholds and governs (Hebrews 1:3) heaven, earth, and all creatures; so that herbs and grass, rain and drought, (Jeremiah 5:24, Acts 14:17) fruitful and barren years, meat and drink, health and sickness, (John 9:3) riches and poverty, (Proverbs 22:2) yea, and all things come, not by chance, but be his fatherly hand. (Matthew 10:20, Proverbs 16:33)
Question 28. What advantage is it to us to know that God has created, and by his providence does still uphold all things?
Answer: That we may be patient in adversity; (Romans 5:3, James 1:3, Psalms 39:9, Job 1:21-22) thankful in prosperity; (Deuteronomy 8:10; 1 Thessalonians 5:18) and that in all things, which may hereafter befall us, we place our firm trust in our faithful God and Father, (Psalms 55:22, Romans 5:4) that nothing shall separate us from his love; (Romans 8:38-39) since all creatures are so in his hand, that without his will they cannot so much as move. (Job 1:12, 2:6, Acts 17:28, 25, Proverbs 21:1)
The next section is on Jesus, the Son.  As you may expect, it is by far the longest section; therefore, it will be broken into a few pieces for better consumption.

--Troll--

No comments:

Post a Comment