Friday, May 13, 2011

God in a Box

This is the old reliable nonsense retort hurled towards the reformed, or any confessional church for that matter.  You can’t put God in a box.  What they really mean is that there has to be room for me in that box.  That is what is behind all of these protestations.  If God is in a box, there  must be room for me and my input.  What do I mean?  Let’s see.

Arius thought that Jesus wasn’t wholly God.  This was just inconceivable.  He just couldn’t wrap his mind around the idea.  If he couldn’t conceive of the thing, then the thing couldn’t be true.  His views needed room in the box.

Pelagius thought that all that Original Sin stuff was rubbish.  Adam was a bad example and Jesus was a good example.  We get to choose which example we follow.  We had to have the power over our own salvation.  Our free will needed room in the box.

Arminius thought that our salvation was based upon grace, if we would just accept the offer of grace.  God will take 99 steps if we will just take one.  He needed room in the box for his one step.

Gnostics and mystics believe in all sorts of things.  God does this and god does that and no limits are possible.  All we have to do is ask god, and like the cosmic butler or a genie in a bottle, he will do those things because he knows us deep inside.  He might send a spirit that they will call “holy” to do some of these things for them.  They need room in the box for all of their supplications and all of their extra things they expect a god to do.

I have a boxGod fits into it nicely, because He says He fits into it.  He hasn’t told me about any parts that don’t fit.  So, I just concern myself with the parts that do fit.  Those are the only parts that I know about.  Those are the only parts He has told me about.  Someday, after I die, perhaps I’ll learn about a larger box, perhaps about more parts, if that is a part of my inheritance.

Oh, by the way, here is a picture of my box:

Everything we know about God is found here.  Everything that He has revealed about Himself is found here.  If it isn’t found here, well, it isn’t God, is it?

--Ogre--

No comments:

Post a Comment