Sunday, January 9, 2011

Trolls and Ogres

And so the drama begins.  The first most obvious question I will be asked is what's up with the name?  Well, here it is.

One of the main points that will recur throughout this blog is that the Gospel is scandalous.  In fact, to many people, the Gospel is offensive.  The exclusivity claims of Jesus are wildly offensive to our permissive and democratic society.  When stating my positions, I have been accused (rightly so) of being everything from offensive to arrogant to pigheaded to mean.  These seem to me to be adjectives often attributed to trolls and ogres.  In addition, trolls live in distinctive locations, under bridges.  It sort of fit me well.

Trolls, then, are the first to discuss.  What does a troll want from you?  Pay his toll and you may cross.  Refuse to pay his toll, and you are eaten.  This sounds like blessings and curses to me.  Thus, the Trolls will be our Pharisees, our legalists.  Now, ogres are most notable for their shockingly bad manners, what with bad hygiene and eating the neighbors.  This sounds like your basic Gentile to me.

And so our motley family is complete: trolls and ogres.  You are here, under the bridge.  Enjoy your visit.

--Ogre--

No comments:

Post a Comment