Monday, January 10, 2011

Arrogance and the Beatitudes

I am weary of Matthew 5-7 being used against me as a club.  So, let's talk about it.  The Beatitudes are part of a long list of blessings and curses.  The OT tells us that the messiah will administer blessings and curses, and so Jesus sets about doing it.  This is at the beginning of Jesus' earthly ministry.  The thesis statement of the Sermon on the Mount is Matthew 5:17-20.

17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. 19 Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

Look at verse 20.  Remember that the Pharisees are jealous nuts (and I mean that in a complementary way) in terms of keeping the law.  Unless your righteousness exceeds that of the Pharisees, you are doomed.  Blessings and Curses = Law.  If you expect to try to see yourself in one of those groups in the blessings section, well, OK, good luck with that.  If you think the path to heaven is to out work the Pharisees, well, OK, good luck with that, too.  Jesus is doing at the outset of His ministry exactly what Paul does in Romans 1-3: He is leveling humanity.  Verse 19 is about JESUS.  We are all in the first group.  Jesus is in the second group, alone.

OK, why does Jesus come and essentially tell everyone listening that they are all damned to hell eternally?  What is the point?  Is it true?  These are the red letters in Matthew, for you red letter readers, so what is Jesus up to here?  Why did Jesus come to this earth?  What is the point of His incarnation?  Why am I in the least bit interested in this man who lived and died 2000 years ago?  What does verse 18 say?  He came to accomplish the Law.  And the last words that He speaks in His earthly body are It is done.

Until you understand the desperate plight that describes our condition, you cannot appreciate the Gift.  We are all dead in sin.  The world is full of dead people.  The Bible is the story of the Greatest Rescue Mission of all time.  How can we appreciate the Gift if we do not understand the peril?

So, am I arrogant?  Yes.  Always.  Have I committed murder?  Absolutely.  I don't like some people and wish them less than well on occasion.  Sin is not just what we have done, not even just what we have thought about, sin is a condition, and I'm in it.  Have I worshiped idols?  Probably, and regrettably, but yes all the same.  Have I dishonored my parents?  Ask them.  No, on second thought, just take my yes for it and leave it at that.  Do the whole list.  Yes x 10.  So, beating me up about being arrogant and judgmental?  OK, fine.  Yes, I am.  What's your point?  I know where I stand in Matthew 5:19.

My point is that Salvation is not of my doing.  Justification and Sanctification are external to me.  In so much as I participate in my Sanctification, it is only in so much as I attempt to follow the lead of Jesus out of humble obedience and gratitude for His Gift.  In so much as I actually pull off being nice to a neighbor, it is only through the Holy Spirit acting through me that I am successful.  All credit and glory is for God, no credit goes to me.

May the Love of Christ Jesus abound in you in this day and always.

--Ogre--

No comments:

Post a Comment