Monday, January 10, 2011

Fundamentalism

Not long ago, I made the statement that I was really a fundamentalist. The looks that I received told me everything that I needed to know. The word "fundamentalist" has been hijacked by the political right. I do not believe that being a fundamentalist means what most of America has come to understand by this term with all of the political grandstanding that has been attached to it. Christians who seek to consider themselves true Christians should have a basic set of beliefs that are fundamental to the notion of being Christian. These fundamental beliefs should cross all lines of denomination and geography without a hitch. That is why they should be called fundamental beliefs. You cannot call yourself Christian without this full set of beliefs. This is what it means to be called "Christian." It is of fundamental importance to this label.

So, therefore, I am a fundamentalist. I believe that there are certain items that are not negotiable. They are deal breakers. Without these certain few items, you are simply not Christian regardless of how you think you are ideologically aligned. Is this a statement of exclusivity? Not at all. I’ll get around to exclusivity claims eventually. But here, we are talking about definitions. I am simply asserting that to be "Christian" has to mean something specific. It is a linguistic exercise, if you will.

The White Horse Inn guys say it this way, "Know what you believe and why you believe it." It is pretty straightforward. So, what do I believe and why do I believe it. I guess I could take the easy way out and go bumper sticker on you. "God said it. I believe it. That settles it." While this is obviously quite true, I mean to answer the White Horse Inn questions. What did God say? Why do I believe it?

--Troll--

No comments:

Post a Comment