Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Open Letter to Frank Turk

Pirate Christian radio did an interview with Frank Turk today concerning the open letter to Mike Horton.  The interview gave Frank an opportunity to air out some issues more clearly than can be articulated in a letter without the easy give an take of an interview.  While some blogs actually have people posting comments, that particular post hit 300 comments, far too many to read for most people.  After this podcast interview, I have the following to say to Frank, may he ever read this.

Why should a neophyte blog?  Let's start with the idea of recreation.  Secondly, there is the concept of audience.  Some people have a larger audience that has been built over a longer period of time and with genuine credentials that legitimize the site.  Others have a smaller target audience with more meager goals.  Part of my journey is to attempt to take as many of my friends and family on this journey with me.  We have a lot of bad theology to work out.  This is for the most part a dialogue between brothers and sisters in Christ, but we under the bridge creatures range from Orthodox reformed to full blown Pentecostal and hit just about everything on the spectrum.  We are blogging to cover some basic ground in a friendly format before some of the others wade out into the ocean of blogs.  I've been out there for a while and it is easy to float around aimlessly.  One day I'll post on how to use the blogosphere as a useful tool.  Until that time, please show some understanding and less condescension to us less proficient bloggers.

I do finally understand your point concerning the WHI.  I know that you have been listening to them for some time and that you feel that this drift in direction has occurred more recently.  But I also agree that Ken Jones does provide exactly the sort of moderating influence that you point out.  Still, I stand convicted by your story in your old church, before the move, and it is a tale that will serve me well as I search for my crumbs.  I currently attend a megachurch in Houston, not Lakewood BTW, but Pentecostal light to be sure; therefore, we are talking about crumbs.  Towards this particular goal that you have given me, I will be faithful until I resolve the issue of sacraments and the Lord's Supper and move.

Chris also made a decent point about new Calvinists.  I certainly would be guilty of making his hair stand on end with the language of gratitude and obedience, but I find that the obedience is part and parcel of the formula and it is the obedience of Law in the way that James uses the Law.  I think that Chris is objecting to the idea of gratitude that is not followed by an action.  So while I use this language, I am trying to be sure to include both parts of the discussion.  I've heard so much admonishment concerning new Calvinists.  I waited the proscribed year before I started talking about it, and now I'm a year into that.  So, I'm sure I have much refining yet to do.  Nonetheless, part of my mission with my audience is to do the heavy lifting for them.  I cannot wait any longer.  I think it is important, as most of the good teachers do, to continue to be a student.  I am clearly still more student than teacher.  But the reformed position needs more presence on the web, even if it isn't the top drawer stuff you would prefer.

And so finally, I guess I will try to hang with Team Pyro a bit longer, at least with you and Phil.  Dan may be a great guy in person, but that is far from his presentation on the blog.  I'm truly at my limit with incivility on a Christian blog.  This interview today went a long way to repair the damage that I think was done by the open letter.  Yes, you were clearly unfortunate in its timing relative to the Christianity Today article.  Thank you for your persistence in fleshing out a full explanation.

If you ever get to this letter, may it find you in peace and in the love of God.

Maranatha!
Merlin

No comments:

Post a Comment